Saturday, November 15, 2008

November Lady


November Lady
Originally uploaded by pittepat
What a wonderful fall day it is! The past week has been grey, damp and dreary. I've been hoarding dry firewood on the porch so that I could have a fire in the stove during the evenings. It wasn't that it was very cold, mind you, but the fire made the house so cozy. When I woke this morning, the wind was raging outside, making a terrible racket. Assuming that I needed it, I layered on three shirts and grabbed the wool coat to do the dogwalk. Whew! When I opened the door, the wool coat was exchanged for a cotton jacket and by the time I'd gone two blocks, I realized I couldn't make the whole circuit dressed as I was. The trees have lost almost all their leaves so it looks like winter, but it feels like spring.

Accordingly, I decided to spend some time knitting on the porch. Right now, I'm working on a very popular cardigan pattern called, September Lady. (Ravelry lists almost 2000 projects for this design.) I had this on my queue but hadn't planned on starting it right now--of course, that's how the best things sometimes happen. I'm using a delightful yarn, Dream in Color, that I'd heard of but never seen. I discovered it at my favorite LYS, Frivolous Fibers. Marnie, one of the owners, showed me a sample of the February Lady that she'd made from one of the Blue Heron yarns. I wasn't in the mood to knit with any more cotton, so she pulled out the DIC. The colorways were wonderful--tonal blends that were still lively and distinct. Ordinarily, I would have gone right for the blue or lavender mixes, but there wasn't enough yardage in either, so I chose Happy Forest, a mix of emerald greens, greenish blues, and greenish yellows. So far, it's been sheer pleasure to work with both this pattern and the yarn. And, having a warm day to spend knitting on the porch--does it get any better than this?

1 comment:

catenasart said...

Can't wait to try DIC yarns. Have visited their website and the colorways are as beautiful as you describe! Now to finish what I have before planning and starting something new. Can I wait? ...