Thursday, July 23, 2009

Who Am I?



Throughout the course of my life, my identity has changed. When I was small, I was Frank and Dot's little girl or Ted's sister. As I got older and ventured out into the world, going to college and then to the workaday world, I felt that I came into my own. My family was unknown to most of the people with whom I came in contact and I felt as if I was my own person. Then I had children. Again, I became known primarily for my position as Julie's mom or Dan's mother.

These days, since the kids are young adults, living away from home, I thought I had recaptured my identity, that is, until the other day when I met someone new at the neighborhood block party. The lady looked at me and said she thought she'd seen me before. I went through the list of ways she might know me--where I'd worked, where we'd gone to church, the things I like to do in town--until she figured it out. "You walk that funny jumping dog!"

So, that's who I am now. I'm The Mother of the Funny Jumping Dog.

It could be worse.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful, honest storytelling I continue to share with family and friends. So real - just like you! Keep them coming.

Unknown said...

Who are you?

I'd like to add: GREAT STORYTELLER, AUTHOR, WRITER,
and last, but certainly not least, friend.

Keep writing!

jessie said...

Got here from your post on Ravelry. I was hoping to see your spinning, but the jumping dog was way more fun!