Sunday, June 13, 2010

Handspun, Handknit Socks


One of my spinning goals--probably the most commonly held goal for beginning spinners--is to be able to spin "skinny" yarn. When you start wheel spinning, the job of coordinating the movements of the hands and feet is so difficult that it's all you can do to even hold on to the wool as it goes through the fingers. The task of controlling the tension on the fiber and adjusting the wheel, takes practice. In my case, it took a lesson at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival with one of the "rock stars" of the spinning world, Judith MacKenzie.

Since then, I have been working with my little Pocket Wheel to perfect this skill and finally, I've produced enough 3 ply yarn (about 400 yards) to knit a pair of simple socks. The yarn is a little thicker than yarn that I usually purchase, so the socks are bulkier than others that I've made. Nevertheless, they will work fine with my stretched out clogs and I'm really pleased with them. Now, all I have to do is to survive another summer in Maryland so that I can wear them!

No comments: