Saturday, July 24, 2010

Luncheon


If you've ever been in the Annapolis Barnes & Noble on a Thursday afternoon, you'll probably notice that there's another layer of noise emanating from the the cafe area. You might even think it sounds like a party because there always seems to be a lot of laughing. Investigate more closely and you'll discover that it's a conclave of knitters.

I've witnessed this gathering a few times and have always lurked at the edges, somewhat timid about breaking into what was obviously a tightly knit group. Once, I ventured closer to ask a question--something about short rows--and I was amazed at how many of them jumped to offer assistance. I was also impressed with the diversity of projects they were all working on: lacey shawls, sweaters and even a sock or two.

Because I was working full-time, I was never able to join them but this week I had an opportunity to do just that. One of the ladies who attends my monthly spinning groupinvited the spinners to a potluck hosted by the B&N group. It was such fun!

"Show and tell" was inspiring--again, lots of different kinds of projects--and I was struck by the quality of the questions and discussion each item received. It was obvious that the group was fueled by a high level of support and they were really interested in more than the knitting. It was as if the knitting had served as a starting point, maybe a bridge, to deeper relationships. And yet, despite the closeness of the group, they were very inclusive and welcoming of those of us who were visitors. I felt comfortable and eager to visit again.

This is Sam modeling her "Matador Cardi".




Kasey was not up to knitting on this day.

No comments: