Monday, March 17, 2008

Rantings from a Yahoo Groupie

I have a long list of crafty things that I like to do and for every hobby, I am a member of at least one corresponding Yahoo group. My favorite, of course, is the knitting group. I call it "Knitting 911" because they always seem to come to my rescue when I knit myself into a corner. I'm amazed at the graciousness of the many knitters who take the time to offer assistance to anyone who asks a question. I read it every day and I'm constantly learning new things about knitting.

This morning, I didn't get past the first post. One member had apparently put together a pattern for special socks for those who are prone to foot problems and offered it free of charge on her blog. She asked that the pattern be for personal purposes and, should anyone want to sell socks made from it, that they ask permission first. Most of the related posts were from other members who had a question or who expressed appreciation for the free pattern. Everyone was playing nice until someone posted that the disclaimer was inappropriate because the pattern was simply a composite of "generic elements" of sock knitting and that we shouldn't get too involved in copyright issues, lest we, as knitters, "take ourselves too seriously."

Excuse me? Too seriously?

Part of me was already dragging out the soapbox. (Ok, in my house it's a library kick-stool, but it still serves the same purpose.) Personally I don't think that knitters take themselves seriously enough, but suppose they did? Would the streets be filled with wild eyed, crazy women (mostly) waving needles and wrapping policemen in merino yarn? Would we see the rise of two new political parties--the Pickers and the Throwers? Perhaps the airlines would prohibit anyone without knitting needles from flying!

Ok, ok, enough already, but I do think that knitters are like other crafters in that we don't give ourselves much value for what we do. Our community boasts its own big names but do we call Norah Gaughan and Cat Bhordi, "artists?" Certainly, few of us call ourselves, "artists" or even, "artisans." So what if the Tilted Duster never makes it to a museum unless someone wears it--does that mean it's not an incredible artistic accomplishment?

I'm getting a little carried away here, I know. I'm just suggesting that when someone asks you what you do, you say something like, "Oh, I'm a fiber artist." We are artisans. We practice a skilled craft and many of us practice at a highly skilled level. Let's take ourselves seriously!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Exactly, I'm so sick of us knitters not taking credit for our talents!

Anonymous said...

I agree that knitters and other craftspeople should take themselves and their designs seriously, and that placing a "please don't sell my free pattern" disclaimer is more than fair.
However, something has been bothering me about Cat Bordhi's new book. She's come up with new places on a sock for placing gusset stitches and given us some fabulous new ideas. However, if I wanted to make a pattern using one of her style of construction, it wouldn't be marketable because it uses her "new technique." If Ms. Bordhi is the only person to be allowed to use those new styles of construction professionally, how does that feed our collective creativity? Copyright is important, but it needs to balance artistry, not stifle it.
Sorry, don't mean to rant - these are just things I mull over while knitting.