Thursday, March 6, 2008

Wild Wooly Women


About three years ago I started a knitting group when a new coffee shop opened up in our town and the owner agreed to host the meetings. At first, the group was hit or miss and, after the first year, I considered letting it go. Fortunately, another member, Carolyn, offered to facilitate the meetings and thanks to her organizational skills and perseverance, Wild Wooly Women is thriving. We now rotate meetings among the members' houses and usually there are about 8 or 9 members in attendance, sometimes with a guest or two. Last night, a member of the hostess' family decided to join us. Normally, we were told, she is more reserved and not inclined to visit with strangers. However, she must have sensed that knitters love furry folks because she made herself part of the group immediately. She even expressed an interest in knitting.

I just love this group. For the most part, I suppose we are a homogeneous bunch, women of 40+ years of age with grown families, brought together by a common interest in the art of handknitting and yet, I'm surprised by the way we have grown into a little family. Each month, I look forward to seeing each one and, when one is absent, it feels "not right" until they return. One of the original members moved, during the first year and I still feel the loss; another will be moving to North Carolina and I know I will miss her (and her snappy wit) when she leaves. But, hopefully, we will go on, if only better for having known and loved the ladies in question. That's what families are supposed to do.

No comments: