Friday, January 16, 2009

Oh, Baby!


For some reason, I've never really gotten into knitting baby things. Maybe it's because I no longer have any babies in my life--mine are all grown up and off living lives of their own, which, thankfully, do not yet include babies. However, a few friends and younger relatives have recently had little baby girls and I decided to try my hand at tiny knitted things.

I found Baby Shrug, by Debbie Bliss, on Ravelry and bought some washable cotton called Cottontots (Bernat) in sunshine yellow to try it out. I loved the bright color but I didn't think that the thick 'n' thin nature of the yarn was suited for such a small scale project. The pattern is written for Aran weight and my gauge was dead-on but I prefer to knit stockinette stitch in a smaller gauge so, when I try this one again, I'll probably choose a worsted or DK weight yarn and knit up a few sizes.

Another issue I had was, as always, seaming. Why is this such a stumbling block? I've successfully sewn wedding gowns, baby clothes, draperies, slipcovers, and even bathing suits; I can embroider, hand quilt, and do needlepoint but I can't sew up the sides of a sweater without it looking like it's the first time I've ever held a sewing needle! So, I did my usual botch job and it looks wretched, so I'm going to tear out the stitches and try it again, using directions from Knitty. Wish me luck. I'm determined to learn how to do this right!!!

1 comment:

catenasart said...

I would love to make it to one of your knitting sessions and show you how I do seams. Maybe it would be a help? Never know!