Sunday, May 3, 2009

Birthday Week Revisited


I'm ashamed to admit that, in my excitement about the spinning weekend, I failed to report one of the most special events during my birthday week. On the day before my birthday, two of our most special friends, a couple we've known a very long time, came to visit.

Ross is a real diamond in the rough. We met when Paul and I moved into the same development where he and his young family lived. We called Ross, "The Mayor of Stonewood Court" because he spent his free time cruising the court, schmoozing with the neighbors. If there was something going on, Ross knew and had distinct opinions about it. Sometimes he was brash, sometimes a tiny bit crude, but most times, right on point. What we liked most was that we all shared the same kind of goofy, off-beat humor and we did a lot of laughing. At the same time, what we really didn't notice was that our families were not only growing up but that we were all growing up together.

In those early days, I took our relationship very lightly. It was during the hard times that I came to see what a gift his friendship really was. Once, when things were not going well, I confided my fears briefly to Ross and he did what he could. It was exactly what needed to be done. When serious illness came to our family, Ross was there waiting with us for the diagnosis, at the hospital after surgery, and praying for recovery. Afterwards, his relief at the return to health was palpable.

Nowadays, Ross and Kathy live in South Dakota and they send us a periodic newsletter that I call "The Snow Report." Two years ago, we planned a visit. Before we left home, one of our dogs fell ill and we were afraid to leave him in the kennel. Like true friends--or truly crazy friends--they extended the invitation to our two badly spoiled canines. The five of us, Paul, his motorcycle, Fozzie, Molly, and I, spent a wonderful week visiting with them in their new home. Riding around the Black Hills was spectacular but it was made perfect by the fact that we came home each evening to the warm company of our friends.

So, it was appropriate that these two were present last week and that it just happened to be my birthday. We spent the evening having dinner at a local restaurant and we found ourselves talking about the old times and the new. Of course, there was the mandatory reports of "what the kids are up to" and we got to see photos of the beautiful new granddaughter who was born last month. As we talked, I thought a great deal about all we four had been through and realized that it was no less than a family.

The next morning, after they spent the night on our street--in their RV--we said our goodbyes as Paul left for work. They departed for Vermont to visit son, Neal and his wife, Laurie. Goodbyes are supposed to be sad, at least, I think they are. But our goodbyes were not sad at all. Instead, they were joyous and celebratory. I felt extremely blessed to have such lifelong friends and glad to have had the opportunity to spend time with them again. Even more, they left and I was filled with hope that we'd all have a chance to do it all again.

Thanks, guys, for such a great birthday present!

No comments: