Sunday, May 3, 2009

Woolapalooza


For me, the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, always held on the first weekend in May, is like the begining of the New Knitting Year. I make my way through winter--which, I admit can be pretty mild--and then, as hints of spring begin to appear, I start to think of the a new year of knitting adventures. Last year, I decided that I wanted to try my hand at spinning, so I planned my day at the festival stalking the wild spindle in its native environment. I returned with a spindle from Bosworth's stall and a small stache of roving to spin.

This year, I tried something really different. I decided to experience the festival as a worker bee and found myself in the merchandise tent, bagging purchases for the many, many fair goers. I'd expected to be busy and I was but I was totally unprepared for the foot pain that I experienced after 3 hours of standing in one spot on a concrete floor.

Afterwards, I met up with my daughter and we wound our way through the barns. I always enjoy listening to Maggie Sansone's hammered dulcimer music, especially when she brings her Dancing Dogs--I'm always up at the front with the little kids and I think I enjoy those clogging canines as much as they do.


I got to play with a Woolee Winder on a Schacht Ladybug and it was divine. Only memories of paying for the new furnace kept me from saying, "Wrap it up, I'll take it."We also visited the Golding booth. Do people really spin on Golding wheels? Are they art or function? And what does one of those babies weigh anyway? I hardly think I'd be throwing one of them in the back of the Mini Cooper to buzz out to a spin-in. Besides, the thought of doing such a thing smacks of blasphemy!



I took in some more eye candy at Monica Leno' booth. I'd read about her hand painted spinning wheels in Spin Off magazine, but seeing them in person was an entirely different thing. I talked with Monica about her business, asking what it would cost if someone wanted to get their wheel "pimped out." She gave a little laugh, hesitated before she answered--I realized at that point that I'd never have to worry about it--and said that she chooses not to do consignments but prefers to sell the wheels she has already done. Where does she get her subjects? Out of the classifieds and from antique shops. Here are some of the exquisite wheels that she's rescued.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

I am really, really, really jealous that you get to go to the Maryland Wool Festival!!!! (Happy for you, too!)